Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Getting Back Into the Swing of It

Sunday Night: 2 Miles Running with Dan

Monday: Weights (Chest and Triceps)
3 Miles Walking with Husband and Dan

Tuesday: 2 Miles Running with Dan the Man
3 miles Walking with Husband and a very tired Dan

Wednesday: Weights (Back, Biceps, and Legs)
3 miles Walking with Husband and Dog- in the rain.

I took the opportunity to go for a quick run Sunday night. I sorely needed it after the previous week. The husband was busy with the boys planting the trees we bought from Costco- 20 bucks a pop for 6 foot tall Arbor Vitaes (?)-total steal. The trees are phase 1 of Operation: Get Husband To Put in a Pool. Right now they will serve to block the unfriendly new neighbors from view while we're enjoying the backyard.

I haven't been running much lately. I was out of commission for nearly two weeks with a raging head cold and didn't have the energy to get off the couch. I needed the exercise and when I finally got Dan into his harness Sunday evening, it was long overdue. I left the guys digging holes in the back yard and headed out. I've been on many runs where it feels I could go forever. I savor the feeling of each muscle working as I run up hills and the easy stride when gliding down them (One of the few moments in life where I feel graceful). But for every good run, there's a bad one...and Sunday was bad. My legs felt like lead. Each step took tremendous effort and I wanted to stop and walk the entire time. Instead of rejuvenating me, it sapped what little energy I had left and I came through the back gate of our house tired, thirsty, and completely drained. I've been biking more, and it definitely works different muscle groups than running. After a long bike ride, I feel it more in my butt and thighs (Yea! Target area!). Those rides definitely had an impact on my run. Determined to remain unfazed, Tuesday I went out to run again. I still felt slow, heavy- but it wasn't nearly as bad as Sunday.

The plan is to get back to enjoying my runs. Once I'm back in the zone again, I can start to increase my distance. I want to keep biking. It's always good to change up your exercise routine and I think this will provide a nice break and give me a reason to get out for a bit on the weekends. I'll also be volunteering at my son's school for the next few weeks and I think I'll ride my bike instead of driving. Tomorrow is the test run...we'll see how it goes!



No comments:

Post a Comment