Sunday, September 5, 2010

Happiness = No Painting

Thursday: 3 Miles Walking with Dan and Husband
2 Miles Running

Friday: 3 miles Walking
6-7 Miles Cycling

Saturday: Painting, Oh My Gawd, the Painting

I don't know what I was thinking when I let my then 5-year-old decide what color he wanted his room painted. It was his room and I honestly thought that no matter what color he picked, we could make it work. He reeeaaally wanted black (!) but he settled on "Midnight Sky" which is about as close to black as you can get. But I assured my husband that we could add glow-in-the-dark stars to the ceiling and give him a space theme. For the past 6 months, my youngest son has been sleeping in the black hole of man-caves. The color sucks all light from every source. It's even dim in the middle of a sunny afternoon. I haven't said a word about changing it, after all, it's his room and as long as he's happy, I'll happily look the other way.

We were running errands yesterday when Little Man pipes up and says, "I don't like the color of my room, can we change it?" Hallelujah! We made a beeline for Lowes and quickly selected a boy-ish green (with the pansy name "Green Tea Leaves") before he could change his mind. The husband was skeptical we could do this in a weekend- he had 16 trees to plant and landscape in the backyard. It's a 3 day weekend, I reminded him. Besides, we would help each other and get it done.

Three hours later...I had my painters tape up and the primer mixed and I was ready to go! I attempted to get started on Little Man's room, but the primer was just not sticking to the blue paint. I had stepped off the ladder and into the paint tray, cracking it down the side, and had gotten drops of white paint on his blue bedspread. I threw the roller in the pan and went out back to sulk. The Husband was almost done planting and preparing to put down landscaping tarp when he saw me with my bottom lip hanging out and my brow furrowed.
T.H. and I will never have our own show on HGTV. Home repair and remodel brings out the worst in us. Even something as simple as hanging pictures could end up being a cause for divorce- at the very least, we settle for not speaking to each other for the rest of the day. But, T.H. is a Good Guy, and Good Guys can see when a lady(albeit a bitchy one) is in distress. So he put down his shovel and helped me fix the mess I'd made.

Up at 6:45 with one stuffy kiddo and one stuffy self, T.H. and I have several hours of painting in front of us. We had plans to paint our laundry room and dining room. I think for the sake of our marriage, we'll let professionals take care of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment