Sunday, December 26, 2010

Anticlimactic Christmas

All of the presents are unwrapped and the tins that held cookies and fudge are already washed and stored away. For weeks I've run around getting presents for family and friends, planning the dinner menu, and enjoying parties at school and with friends. The big buildup that comes before Christmas is like taking a deep breath and holding it, then the day comes and it's over before you know it- very anti-climactic, and I sit on the couch and think, huh, why did I get so worked up over this? But it's the same every year.

The night before E had trouble getting to sleep- he was too excited. So MJ and I had to wait until 1am to put presents under the tree. Bright-eyed and bushy tailed both boys appeared at my bedside at 6am ready to rip into the bounty that "Santa" had left under the tree. What took hours to wrap took minutes to tear through. Afterward, the boys looked at us and asked, "Was that everything?"

I know two kids who will NOT be getting as much for Christmas next year.

Once we got past the ungratefulness, the day was very quiet and relaxing. MJ and I helped E and C put their new Lego sets together. We played more video games than we should have and ate way too much junk food. MJ and I cooked dinner together and it was just as good as the holiday meals we used to travel to WV for.

By the days end we had one son with a fever and one well on his way to joining his brother in Sickville, a Mom with a bellyache due to too much turkey and Hershey Kisses, and one husband who was winding up a marathon of zombie shooting on the X-Box 360.

With New Year's closing in and MJ's birthday arriving soon after, I'm reluctant to take down any decorations until then. Packing everything away makes me sad and cold weather isn't as much fun without a Christmas tree. I want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and my new layer of holiday fat and hibernate until spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment